Let Me Count The Ways

Tuesday 4 August 2009

I came across this on a UKIP website. In essence it says that Jacques Barrot recently called for "citizenship in the fullest sense of the word" by introducing EU birth and death certificates. I couldn't find anything about it on Barrot's ec.europa.euwebsite but perhaps I searched more in hope than in expectation.

A European Union Sonnet, abused by me from a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:
How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.
I loathe thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul conjures, on having in sight
Your acts of foetid disgrace.
I loathe thee to the level of every day's
Most irksome want from jobsworth parasite.
I loathe thee freely, while men strive for right.
I loathe thee purely, while men die to praise.
I loathe thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I loathe thee with a hate I seemed to lose
With shedded tears. I loathe thee with the strife,
Smiles, tears of all my days; and, if God choose,
I pray my child be spared from EU life.
It will take more than political parties to defeat the EU; it's going to take people.
Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments

No response to “Let Me Count The Ways”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)