Like Father, Like Son

Saturday 29 August 2009

I used to play a game - not a very imaginative or thrilling one - where I'd decide where to live in England depending on the quality of the local MP.  For many years I've had my eye set on a small farmholding in the constituency of Shipley, West Yorkshire but this morning I discovered that the apple had fallen from a bigger tree, so I'm now musing on the possibilities of Doncaster.  They recently elected an English Democrat Mayor and by all accounts, he's doing very well.

With delicious serendipity, it turns out that Peter Davies (the Mayor) is father of  Philip Davies (the MP).


Within a week of his election, Mr Davies had slashed his own salary from £73,000 to £30,000, scrapped the mayoral limousine and abolished the council's free newspaper.  He has written to the Electoral Commission asking them to scrap two-thirds of Doncaster's 63 council seats in order to save the town £800,000 a year.
'If Pittsburgh can manage with nine councillors, why do we need 63?' he asks.

Doncaster definitely has the edge at the moment and I hope many more English Democrat Mayors and Councillors with the same values are elected to office in England - it's no less than we deserve.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Doncaster.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Comments

No response to “Like Father, Like Son”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)